It’s Deceeeeeember! Time for twinkle lights, choir concerts, and finishing our Sugar Block quilts! I can’t believe this year is coming to an end!
This month’s block is pure wintery whimsy, and it’s just perfect for whipping up a last minute holiday table topper or throw, like this happy holiday quilt that Premium members will be receiving in their inboxes next week. I’m all about the funky non-traditional Christmas colors right now so I decided to pull some pretty berry, aqua, pink, and kelly green prints for mine, but I can also see this looking really lovely in classic Christmas colors. Or do non-holiday colors! Tree are just plain lovely.
12 happy blocks! Yay! This year was so much fun. I really enjoyed the mix of techniques and styles, and the variety feels really playful (I love a quilt that doesn’t seem to take itself toooo seriously).
So go get your December block stitched up (pattern at the bottom of this post), then join me in stitching up a gorgeous finished quilt. I’m doing the Celestial layout from The Quilt Block Cookbook, and will be posting process photos and tips as I get mine put together in the next couple of weeks. This layout is just perfect for 12 blocks and really gives you a lot of bang for your buck- ie a generous bed-sized quilt- and it comes together really quickly. Also gives a fabulous canvas for some pretty quilting!
And then there’s the question of the month…
WILL THERE BE A 2017 SUGAR BLOCK CLUB?
Well, let me just say…start picking out your fabrics, friends, because it’s ON! Stay tuned this week for an official announcement here on my blog with details about next year’s 100% free sew along program!
And without further ado…December’s block pattern!
Sugar Plum Forest Block
Finished Size: 12” square
3/8 yard of white fabric
1/8 yard of sashing fabric
1/8 yard of tree trunk fabric
1/8 yard each of four tree fabrics
- Cut (1) 2 1/2” square (for the center unit)
- Cut (8) 6 1/2” x 3” rectangles (for patches A5 and A6)
- Cut (8) 2 ½’’ squares (for patches A2 and A3)
- Cut (4) 2 1/2” x 5 1/2” rectangles
- Tree Trunk:
- Cut (4) 1 1/2” x 2 1/2” rectangles
- Tree Fabrics:
- Cut (4) 4” x 6” rectangles
You’ll find the templates for this block HERE. Print four copies.
1. If you’re comfortable paper piecing these, then print your templates and jump right in! If not, please refer to THIS photo tutorial of a similar block, or revisit the Craftsy BOM October lesson for a video demo. Piece all four trees using this method, then press with starch, trim, and remove the paper.
2. Stitch the block into three rows of three units each, following the block layout illustration. Press seams toward the print sashing. Stitch the rows together, matching and pinning at seam intersections. Press seams toward the center row of sashing.
Square up block to 12 1/2″ as needed.
And that’s it! A super quick and easy block that’s lovely for winter.
PS- Looking for the other block patterns from this year’s club? Look HERE.
PPS– Want a super printer-friendly PDF download of this pattern? Sign up for a Premium Sugar Block Club Membership HERE.
Have fun, and keep an eye out next week for the 2017 program announcement!