Hello again, everyone! Mr. Dock here to finally show off my first completed quilt! Whew!
Those of you that have kept up with Amy’s blog know we’ve been busy with the twins, a move, lots of home improvement projects and just about any other thing we could fit into our crowded schedules. But, a year after I started, the Commonwealth Quilt is done!
I first blogged about my reasons for making a quilt here. And I can assure you it’s been a huge learning experience! One that I’ve enjoyed immensely, and one that I think Amy would tell you she’s enjoyed watch me go through.
At one point, I had the idea of finishing it secretly without Amy knowing. My plan was to make a present to her, but then I sat down at her new machine and realized I couldn’t even figure out how to thread the thing! I did manage to get the two pieces that would become the back put together in secret while she was at Market last fall, but that was about as far as I got on my own.
After pressing the seam which runs down the middle it almost disappeared, and I was proud of how well that turned out. But hey, I had a great teacher.
Eventually, I gave up on the secret project idea and dug Amy’s quilting frame out of the crawl space and assembled it in the front room of our house. Twenty-four hours later, I had figured out how the batting, top and back went on the rollers and I off to the races.
Honestly, I didn’t have any idea of what kind of pattern to use for the quilting. I knew I wanted something minimal, so Amy suggested using straight lines that all ran in the same direction. So that’s what I did. I even got to use some of my tools on the sled for the machine to keep it locked in place to get straighter lines.
It took some time. And I think I must have walked several miles back and forth in front of that frame, but I do love the way it turned out.
By the time I finished the quilting, I was ready to power through and finish the whole thing. So I drove down to a fabric shop and picked out some fabric for the binding after Amy measured and told me how much to get. Amy taught me to hand stitch the binding which she does in feet per hour. Strike that. She does it in feet per hour while watching tv and responding to emails from Sugar Block Club members.
I on the other hand…If there was a unit of measure for how fast I hand bind quilts, I think band-aids per foot would be the most appropriate. Hopefully, the blood will wash out.
The truth is, I was anxious to get it done. I always love the way Amy’s quilts look when they come out of the dryer that first time, all wrinkly and puckered around the quilting. I was excited to see how the Commonwealth looked when it got to that step.
Admittedly, there are some things about the quilt that I didn’t do very well. The binding was sewn a little too small so I had the hardest time getting the corners stitched at all. Two of them appear to softly rounded instead of crisp 90’s. But it was only my freshman effort. I’m pretty sure there will be a sophomore effort, at least. And that one will be better.
Overall, though, I am really happy with the final product. I like knowing that I stitched every stitch, no matter how crooked! I like knowing that Amy and I have one more thing to share.
I’m seeing another geographically inspired quilt in my future. The wheels are turning, but I haven’t come up with a workable plan just yet. In the mean time, I’ll try to be a more regular visitor and post more to the survival guide.
Thanks for stopping by!