We had SUCH a delightful meeting this week over at the Front Range Modern Quilt Guild, that I simply couldn’t resist sharing, and giving you a
little big quilterly nudge, if you’re not already a member in your own area.
Why join a guild?? More like why not! Here are 10 not-so-easy-to-ignore reasons to DO IT!
1. Gangs Are Good– Well, at least non-violent, fabric-obsessed, stitch-crazy ones are. Guilds give us all the support and encouragment that comes with being part of a positive community of like-minded individuals. No need to continue boring your husband (or wife!) to death with the riveting triumphs of your latest wonky latice. Your guild gets it like no one else can!
2. Learn Stuff- How about a live demo on paper piecing, a lesson on thread selection, or demystifying tut on the latest version of EQ? Sure, YouTube is great, but nothing beats the live learning you’ll gain from all the fabulous talks & demo’s offered by your fellow members and special (sometimes celeb!) guests.
How cool to hear from the darling ladies of Sweetwater this week, who shared all about the workings of their business designing fabric for Moda, not to mention their impressive line of patterns, custom quilt tags, home decor accents, and even a cute new book.
3. Contests & Challenges– For the competative spirit in you, your guild can give you the chance to participate in countless challenges- to push your limits and show off your quilty skills. The Modern Quilt Guild is accepting submissions right now, up until March 2nd, for a chance at having a quilt displayed at the MQG booth at Market in Houston. WOW! I’m dreaming (literally dreaming, like asleep, at night) about what design I’d stitch up for this, if I could find the time to make it happen. Challenges keep us on our toes and push us to expand our creativity!
4. Swaps– From mug rugs to scrap packs to FQs, swap fun stuff, with friends, in person! Yes!
5. Discounts– Many fabric & quilt shops offer special discounts and promotional deals to customers who present their guild membership card. Every wallet needs one!
6. Show Off– I know, this sounds bad, but c’mon, you’d be lying if you didn’t admit that it feels great to hold up your quilt and hear “ooooo’s” and “aaah’s”. Most guilds have a show & tell time set aside at every meeting, where you can show off your latest accomplishment, and receive the yummy accolades you’ve been longing for. Whether it’s your first charm pack baby quilt, or a king-sized Single Girl, you & your quilt deserve recognition!!
This week we saw some amazing quilts!!! (So sorry I didn’t snap pics of every single one- my camera was misbehaving & is cruising for replacement soon!)
7. Inspiration– This kinda goes along with the show & tell aspect- but even when you don’t have a quilt to show off, you can glean so much inspiration from the quilt’s that other’s bring. It’s one thing to browse Flickr & blogs for ideas- it’s another to see a quilt in person, touch it, and chat with it’s maker.
8. Prizes– Who doesn’t like free stuff? Our guild has a rotating basket of quilty goodies that gets filled and given to a new member each month, as well as regular giveaways for little things like wearing your name tag or completing a challenge.
9. NO KIDS– enough said.
10. New Friends– You’ll probably find yourself wanting to get together with new found friends outside of guild meetings! I got together with a couple of my partner’s in fabric crime who have little girls for a sweet tea party at a local tea room. How fun is that?!?! Friends make life sweet (so do tea cakes!).
So what are you waiting for?! GET INVOLVED!!! Whether you’re modern, traditional, or somewhere in between, there’s a community out there with a spot just for you. Hop online and go find a local guild that looks right for you- pop them a note or give them a call, and go visit their next meeting! I promise you’ll be glad you did!
Already in a guild you love? Post a comment saying where you’re from, and the link to your guild’s site, so readers looking for a guild home can check it out!